Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From habeeb.com. Boy do they ever have a lot of Lebanese recipes over there. For Zaar 6 Tour. i didnt think the egg added any thing to this recipe . it was a really red soup that tasted pretty good i used canned beets and just chopped them up .
- 12 beets
- 946.36 ml water
- 680.38 g beef, stew meat diced fine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml tomatoes, stewed
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4 eggs
- Peel beets; grate; put in water with stew beef, chopped onion, and stewed tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 hour until stew meat is tender.
- Add lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Beat one egg in bottom of 4 separate bowls.( i did this but had to microwave the egg and i wouldnt add again ).
- Pour soup over the egg slowly; serve at once.
I thought this was interesting however my husband didn't care for it.
I think perhaps I would puree the beets. It could have been a texture thing.
Unique flavor! Reviewed for NA*ME tag/December.
we loved this!! dh was a bit leary about the eggs being sufficiently cooked but i added HOT broth to them & stirred gently until no raw whites were visible then added a ladleful of STUFF. Please DO take the time to make small dice of the cubed beef. ;) i had fabulous beets from the farmers market. Yes, it was a tedious mess peeling & grating them but in the end it was so worth it. This is a REALLY REALLY delicious soup!! Made for NA*ME Tag.