Turkish Red Lentil Soup (Kirmizi Mercimek Çorbasi)
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 10 -12 cups beef stock or 10 -12 cups water
- 3 cups red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- yogurt, for garnish
- In a large pot, bring to a boil 10 to 12 cups of water; add lentils, 2 teaspoons salt, cover and reduce heat, letting simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another pot, over medium heat, and add onions, cover with olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt; once it begins to sizzle, reduce heat to low and cover for about 5 minutes.
- To the second pot, add bulgur, pepper, cayenne, and cumin; stir until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, and 4 cups chicken broth; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the second pot into the large soup pot with the lentils; cover and simmer until the bulgur and the lentils are soft, about an additional 40 minutes.
- You may add additional water if you like a thinner soup (as we do).
- Stir in lemon juice or vinegar; serve a dollop of yogurt with each serving, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>