SWEET CORN & BEAN SOUP WITH COLLARD GREENS
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, Turkish or other, (or more) to taste
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups dried sweet corn
- 2 cups dried pinto beans, or borlotti, soaked overnight in water to cover and drained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs collard greens, washed, rough stems removed, coarsely chopped
- red pepper flakes, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and salt and cook until the onion is almost translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and red pepper flakes and sauté until the onions are coated with the paste and begin to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, corn, and drained soaked beans and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and cook, partially covered, at a low simmer until the beans and corn are almost tender, 45 minutes to 1½ hours depending on the age and type of your beans. If necessary add more water ½ cup at a time while the soup cooks.
- Add the collard greens, bring the soup back to a boil, and then simmer, partially covered, until the greens are tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Serve hot, passing red pepper flakes at the table.
- Recipe courtesy of ISTANBUL & BEYOND by Robyn Eckhardt.
- Get the book here: https://www.amazon.com/Istanbul-Beyond-Exploring-Diverse-Cuisines/dp/0544444310/.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!