Recipe by Lambkyns
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen "These puff-pastry turnovers look so professional, guests will think that you went out and bought them. If you have a few leftover cooked green peas, add 1/3 cup (75 mL) to the filling. Serve with a tossed salad or a spinach-and-orange salad dressed with a tangy vinaigrette to balance the turnovers' fruity sweetness"
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup turkey stock
- 1 cup diced cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 (397 g) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, celery and apple, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add flour and curry powder; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in stock; simmer until thickened, 4 minutes. Remove to bowl; let cool. Stir in turkey and chutney.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to 9-inch (23 cm) square; cut into 4 squares.
- Place about 1/4 cup (50 mL) filling in centre of each.
- Beat egg with milk; lightly brush pastry edges with some of the mixture.
- Fold in half diagonally and seal.
- Place on parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.).
- Lightly brush turnovers with egg mixture.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until golden and puffed, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.