Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A long time ago I ate some Chicken White Chili...that I thought was wonderful. Since that time I have been unable to find a recipe which would match those ingredients. I needed to make something with chicken or turkey for a meeting I'm going to tonight. Because of food allergies of some of the attendees, I decided to use a Turkey sausage for more flavor and to create my own recipe since those listed here didn't contain the ingredients I wanted to use.
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 14 ounces turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (chopped in small pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped in small pieces)
- 4 ounces pimento pepper (diced & drained)
- 1 bay leaf
- 48 ounces great northern beans (cooked)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces salsa verde
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Put the olive oil in a large medium hot pan and saute' the onion until soft.
- Add the mince garlic and carmelize them together being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the turkey sausage, salt and pepper and cook until the juices run clear.
- Add the carrots, celery, pimento, bay leaf, bens, and the 3 1/2 cup of broth to the pan.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Mix the 1/2 cup chicken broth with the 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch and then add to the simmering soup, stirring until it thickens slightly.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- If the soup seems too thick add additional chicken broth.
- Bring back to the boiling stage and then serve.
- Serve along side a bottle of hot sauce for those who like more 'heat'.
This is a fantastic chili recipe! To lighten it up a bit I only used 1 15oz can of beans, then added some chopped green pepper and zucchini that I needed to use up and that worked very well. I used hot chili powder and this had the perfect amount of spice. Mine thickened up perfectly and I didn't have to use any extra chicken broth. Loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Sprint Pick-A-Chef 2012