Recipe by Queenkungfu
Recipe from: Celebrate! Healthy Entertaining for any Occasion, an American Cancer Society Cookbook.
Top Review by atm1970
Wow this was really good and I am so glad I finally tried this! I used Arnold's Melba Thin rye bread and smoked deli turkey. I made the recipe as posted with the exception of using thousand dressing (personal preference). I reduced the amounts to make one sandwich. This made for a quick and easy lunch and will be in my regular lunch rotation. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 tablespoons thousand island dressing, divided (I use non fat kraft)
- 3⁄4 cup sauerkraut
- 8 slices dark pumpernickel bread
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 4 slices swiss cheese (I use low fat)
- 8 ounces turkey breast
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread dressing on one side of each slice of the bread.
- Layer sandwiches:turkey breast, sauerkraut, caraway seeds and cheese.
- Cover with a second piece of bread.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to med-high; lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Place sandwich in pan.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Spray top side of sandwich, flip and cook an additional minute until crispy and cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly and cut in half.