1 hr 25 mins
From Bon Appetit. We looove this, and it's pretty healthy, too. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock or 3 cups canned beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, rinsed and drained
- chopped red onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute.
- 3Increase heat to medium-high.
- 4Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of spoon.
- 5Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with back of spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to boil.
- 6Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer.
- 8Discard bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before continuing.).
- 9Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro and yogurt separately.
- 10Notes: I usually decrease the chili powder slightly because my DH prefers things mild.
- 11We've always skipped the red onion and cilantro, but, it sounds interesting.
- 12I'm estimating the active and passive work times.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Chili With White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.6
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 1013.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 29.7 g