Recipe by yummydummy
I like to cook this in a big iron pot. I usually divide it into 6 servings and freeze for easy lunches. It is hearty and filling but balanced with vegetables.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cansground peeled canned tomatoes (or crushed)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (if using crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown turkey in separate pan.
- Heat olive oil in large pot and add onion and garlic. Allow to soften.
- Add celery, zuchini, green pepper. Stir and allow to soften slightly.
- Add drained turkey with slotted spoon and 2 cans of ground tomatoes and stir mixture. Hold off on the tomato paste (see below).
- Add chile powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and garlic salt and stir.
- Bring to a bubbling boil and set to simmer. After 1/2 hour, add cocoa and evaluate thickness. Add tomato paste to make thicker.
- Continue simmering for a total of 1 1/2 hours.