Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 lb small white onion, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- kernel corn
- 3 cups cooked turkey, , in large pieces
- 1 lb potato, pared and diced
- pie pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Heat butter in large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add onions and celery; cook, covered 10 minutes, remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and thyme until well combined.
- Gradually add broth and milk.
- Add corn or peas, turkey and potato.
- Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
- reduce heat, simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Turn into a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make pastry.
- Roll pastry to fit top of baking dish, with a 1/2-inch overhang.
- Place over turkey mixture; turn edge under; seal to rim of dish and crimp.
- Make several slits in top for steam vents.
- Beat egg yolk with water; brush over pastry.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is deep golden.
- NOTE: Use leftover turkey from roast turkey.