Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an original recipe given to me by a Japanese cook who worked for a family on Nob Hill in San Francisco. I have made this regularly for potlucks.
- 2 cups raw japanese short-grain rice, cooked in a rice cooker according to directions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fine
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- Cook rice in rice cooker according to rice cooker directions.
- After rice is cooked, spread hot rice over entire 15 inch platter.
- While rice is still hot, sprinkle with salt.
- Add mayonnaise and mix and spread again on entire platter, pat with back of spatula to flatten rice mixture.
- Sprinkle curry powder and black pepper evenly over rice.
- Drain canned tuna and spread evenly over spices and rice.
- Place celery, parsley, and green onions over the tuna.
- Lastly, place a rim of lettuce around the entire rim of the platter, about 3 inches wide.
- Serve when cooled.
- Do not refrigerate the rice salad since the rice becomes hardened; instead eat the salad a few hours after it is made.