Recipe by Sharlene~W
This came from a "Knudsens" cookbook, "Cooking or Compliments". An excellent tuna casserole.
Top Review by maryellen_46
I made this recipe but replaced second can of tuna with 1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese and used 1 cup of bread crumbs lightly buttered for the topping. My family found it delicious. It will be my go to recipe for tuna noodle casserole. Delicious the second night as well.
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or 2 cups salad macaroni
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil or 1⁄8 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans light chunk tuna in water, well drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 3 quart casserole.
- Prepared butter breadcrumbs (melt 1 tablespoons butter in small skillet, stir in breadcrumbs and sauté until golden brown) Cook noodles or macaroni in lightly salted water according to package directions.
- Empty sour cream into a large bowl.
- Fold in noodles or macaroni.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly.
- Add soup and tarragon or basil.
- Cook, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Gradually add sauce to noodles and sour cream, folding continuously.
- Fold in pimiento and tuna.
- Pour into buttered casserole and sprinkle with buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake about 20 minutes until piping hot.