Recipe by brianl
This is a little fancier than the average tuna noodle casserole. I found it in a cookbook I checked out from the library about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title or author and I have been unable to find the book again.
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms (black Chinese, shiitake, etc.)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (or substitute the next 4 ingredients)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 (6 3/4 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1⁄4 lb grated gruyere cheese or 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak mushrooms in milk for one hour.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving the milk, and chop coarsely.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Generously grease a 9x12 baking pan with butter.
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, then the reserved milk, broth, and seasonings.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook until sauce is thickened (about 3 minutes); set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain, and transfer to a bowl.
- Add tuna to the pasta.
- Stir in the sauce and 2/3 of the cheese; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to baking pan and cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle remaining cheese over casserole.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.