Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
An old favorite with a new twist.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
I absolutely loved this recipe. I made a couple adjustment though... I didn't had red onions so I used a green onion and instead of mayo I used cream cheese. But other than that, it was made as written & it was to die for, thanks for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, thinly sliced, and lightly salted
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chopped red onion in a small strainer; place strainer in a bowl of ice water; let sit for 10 minutes; drain onion and pat dry.
- In a bowl, mix together the onion, tuna, celery, mayo, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler; lightly toast the bread, and spread each slice with butter.
- Distribute avocado slices evenly over the 4 slices of bread.
- Spread tuna mixture evenly on top of avocado; sprinkle cheese evenly on top.
- Place under the broiler until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.