Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I learned this recipe in a Home Economics Class years ago. This is my favourite Tuna casserole that I have come across to date. I really like the cheesy biscuit topping that makes this so different.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken and rice soup, I prefer Campbell's Brand
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, Drained and Flaked with a Fork
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, Chilled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, Shredded
- Cook margarine and onion in a pot until golden brown color.
- Take the pot off the heat and blend in flour (1/4 Cup or 60 ml) until mixed.
- Return pot to stove and add chicken soup, tuna and milk (1 Cup or 250 ml).
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Take tuna mixture off the heat and add lemon juice.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and set aside.
- Biscuit Topping: Combine flour (2 Cups or 500 ml), baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center of the ingredients and add the milk (1 cup or 250 ml) all at once.
- Stir batter vigorously until it comes freely from the side of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead lightly for a few seconds.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin to make a rectangle shape.
- Sprinkle the dough rectangle with cheddar cheese.
- Roll dough with cheese inside into a log shape.
- With a serrated knife slice dough into pieces about 1 inch thick. (Cinnamon bun style pieces)
- Turn the biscuit & cheese swirl pieces on their side and lay them on top of the tuna mixture.
- Sprinkle a little bit of extra cheese over your cheese/dough swirls and place into the oven.
- Cook Tuna Bake uncovered at 425 F for 20 – 30 Minutes.
I love this recipe. It elevates tuna to a whole new level. My mom had it from somewhere so I grew up with it - except that she made the biscuits with Bisquik.