Recipe by Lightly Toasted
These are THE BEST cinnamon rolls! The recipe is from Todd Wilbur's "More Top Secret Recipes." and www.TopSecretRecipes.com. They're oooey, goooey and rich! The dough can easily be prepared in your bread machine, just follow your manufacturer's order of ingredients. I put the ingredients in the night before, and then roll out and bake in the morning. I would like to share the following suggestions by reviewers about the filling "leaking out" during baking: 1) add a few tablespoons flour to the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture 2) using a flour "shaker" or sifter, I lightly dust the margarine with flour before sprinkling with the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture, then again on top of the BS/cinnamon mixture, before rolling up the dough.
Top Review by Adria82
I used my KitchenAid mixer with this wonderful recipe. I used the paddle attachment to mix the first 6 ingredients, then switched to my dough hook and added in 4 cups of bread flour. I let the mixer knead the dough on speed 2 for about 3-5 minutes, until it was smooth, elastic and beautiful. I did not find any problems with the dough being too sticky or having to add more flour. I let my dough rise in a towel-covered bowl inside my oven (after I turned it to 400F and then turned it off). About an hour later it had doubled and it was the easiest dough to work with! Like others, I used unsalted butter anywhere margarine was called for. I cut 1-inch rolls to stretch this delicious recipe and then let them rise a second time in the warm oven.
I will never make cinnamon rolls another way again. :o)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, margarine salt, eggs, and flour, mix well.
- Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour.
- Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 21 inches long by 16 inches wide.
- It should be approx 1/4 thick.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make filling, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Spread the softened margarine over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the surface.
- Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
- Cut the dough into 1 3/4 inch slices, and place in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking combine the icing ingredients.
- Beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing.