Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is such a wonderful cake! Moist and a wonderful banana flavor that is perfectly coupled with the cream cheese frosting. Not too sweet, not overpowering and perfects with time. This makes a VERY impressive 3 layer cake! I used 100 proof Banana Liqueur. My three layers were done at about 25 minutes. Plan to make the cake one day in advance and store covered in refrigerator overnight for the best results. Enjoy!
- 354.88 ml ripe bananas, mashed
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 709.77 ml flour
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml butter
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 9.85 ml banana liqueur or 9.85 ml Amaretto or 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 226.79 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 828.06 ml confectioners' sugar
- 236.59 ml chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Grease and dust cake pans with flour.
- Combine bananas with lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl or kitchen mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and the liqueur.
- Slowly add flour alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in bananas.
- 3 layers; 2 cups of batter per pan - 2 layers; 3 cups of batter per pan - or you can use bundt pan or 9 x 13 cake pan. Check cake with knife to determine when it is done at about 25 minutes (my three layers were done in 25 minutes but if you are making two layers your time will most likely increase).
- Meanwhile make the frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese and add vanilla. Add confectioners sugar a little at a time and mix at high speed until smooth.
- Cool completely then frost.
- Place chopped pecans around side of cake to hide imperfections in layers or add to top.
- Cover and place in refrigerator. Can be eaten right away. Best served the next day.
I made this cake for my son's birthday. I used the cream cheese frosting in the middle and covered the rest of the cake with peanut butter frosting. This cake is easy to make and amazing. I couldn't stop eating it. Thanks for the great recipe.
This cake was absolutely delicious! The frosting goes soo well with the cake which is not too sweet on its own. The only thing i did differently was cut down the amount of sugar in the cake recipe since i figured the frosting had a lot of sugar in it. Also my frosting was a bit thin, although that was probably my fault. Great recipe, I'll definately be making it again. Thanks!
Yum! Yum! Yum! So Yummy! I really liked making this cake. I mashed the bananas with a potato masher and then used the beaters. I had help putting the nuts on the side of the cake. This is very good. Thanks for making it with me!