Recipe by Muchmom
This is a reconstruction of a popular low budget west indian meal. We ate it many times at beach "limes", where a huge cauldron-like pot was used right on the beach!
- 4 cups parboiled rice
- 8 cups water
- 6 ounces cans coconut milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can pigeon peas
- 1 lb cooked ham or 1 lb chicken or 1 lb bacon or 1 lb pork or 1 lb seafood
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- black pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers or 1 chili peppers or 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- chopped fresh coriander (to garnish, shadow-bene)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients into rice cooker or large pot, turn on and follow your rice cooker's directions, or in a pot, bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes until rice is almost cooked, cover and let sit for further 10 minutes.
- Serve with sprinkle of coriander, and hot sauce to taste.