Recipe by Chef Laya
This is a delicious and pretty salad. As the title indicates, it is made in a clear trifle bowl, and it is made in layers.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
What a delicious salad! I made a couple of minor changes (I didn't include cucumbers, I used red wine vinegar, and I left out the lettuce layer), but this recipe is definitely one that can be adjusted to your taste. By the way, I used 2 packets of Italian salad dressing mix...I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use plain dried Italian spices for this recipe. I found that this made 8 large (entree-sized) servings. Thanks for the pretty and yummy salad!
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2 (2/3 ounce) packetsof dried Italian spices
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage (1 bag)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) bagshredded carrots (4-5 carrots)
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced or 2 cups grape tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dressing at least 2 hours ahead of time. Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar and Italian seasonings. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place the peas in the bottom of the trifle bowl in and even layer. Add an even layer of chickpeas, cabbage, lettuce, red pepper, corn, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Before serving, pour the dressing over the tomato layer, and it will seep through the salad.