Recipe by Ozzy
If you have the time to do this just once....then you must! This, in my humble opinion, is the way Lasagna/Lasagne is supposed to be made and it tastes out of this world, leagues better that your average pre-packed. I serve with salad and garlic bread.
- 1⁄2 lb dry lasagna sheet
For the bolognese sauce
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 1⁄2 celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup of canned Italian plum tomato
For the bechamel sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- For the bolognesesauce.
- Dice the onion, carrot, and celery and mince the garlic.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add the beef and cook until it just loses its pink color, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery then cook until tender, about 5 minutes then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine, stirring with wooden spoon to deglaze pan and simmer until reduced by about 1/2 approx 15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and nutmeg, simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice, breaking up with wooden spoon, season with salt and pepper then cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
- For the bechamel xauce.
- Melt butter on low heat in a saucepan, once melted whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and season with salt and pepper then leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water until tender then drain and refresh under cold water.
- Firstly place a layer of pasta into the bottom of baking dish then pour a thin layer of your bolognese sauce and arrange a layer of pasta on top.
- Pour 1/3 of the bolognese and then 1/3 of the bechamel over pasta and sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat for 2 more layers, ending with the Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Loosely cover lasagne with foil and bake until warmed through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and put lasagne under the grill/broiler until golden brown.
- Let lasagne sit for 10 minutes before serving.