Recipe by Chef Captain Kirk
This is a recipe that I got from a Irish woman who used to cook for her family in Ireland.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup currants (optional)
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
- Cut in butter with flour mix.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and any optional ingredients.
- Lightly knead into two loaves, be sure not too sticky, and not too over worked.
- Put into a 350°F oven for approximately for 45 minutes, or till sounds hollow when hit on the bottom of the bread.