Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very easy and simple macaroon. No frills here!
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Start first, I would suggest by preparing your baking sheet: Use parchment paper to line, definitely NOT foil. Making that mistake will cause horrible sticking and burning. Preheat your oven to 325.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form (approx. 10 minutes by hand, 3-5 minutes by mixer).
- If using Mixer, reduce speed and SLOWLY add the vanilla and then the powdered sugar. Gradually is the key here. Continue to mix for a minute or so longer or until all sugar is dissolved. If you are mixing by hand, add the vanilla and enlist the hands of a second person to help you pour the sugar in while you continuously whip the mixture. Ensure a smooth, light, glossy mixture.
- Stop the mixer or put down your whisk and gently fold in your coconut about a cup at a time. Blend well.
- Spoon the coconut mixture by approximate tablespoonfulls (rounded) onto the baking sheet and place immediately into the oven. Bake for 10-15 mins or until lightly browned on the tops. Garnish with cinnamon if desired.
So easy to make that you'll get addicted! I messed up the order of adding the ingredients together and it still came out great. My guests were delighted and I couldn't get my husband to stop eating them.
Woo Hoo. I haven't had these's for soo long. Eatting one as i write. Just like Mum's!! I substituted powdered sugar (icing sugar) for some normal sugar i blend because my friend can't have wheat gluten which is found in icing sugar. Works fine. Classic!