Recipe by Derf
Fresh from the field tomatoes. Newly harvested tomatoes, wonderful taste with a few seasonings, serve as a first course or as an appetizer. (stand at room temp. 1 hour)
- 2 large field fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices red onion rings, paper thin sliced
- 6 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice each tomato into 3 thick slices, arrange on shallow serving platter.
- Season each slice with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- At serving time, add paper thin onion slices.
- Sprinkle each slice with fresh mint.