1/2 Photos of Tomato Soup With Fines Herbes (Soupe a La Tomate Aux Fines Herbe
Tomato soup is only as good as the tomatoes that are used to make it, so it is no wonder that this soup is synonymous with the summer months, when the reddest, juiciest, most flavorful specimens are in the market. Also best in this season are the pungent, leafy green herbs that the French call 'fines herbes': parsley, chervil, chives, basil, and tarragon. From the cookbook "Savoring Provence" and posted for ZWT5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 celery, finely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (to taste)
- kosher sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 5 green onions, including tender green tops, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chervil
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the oil.
- 2Add the onion and saute until softened, about 1 minutes.
- 3Add the tomatoes and stir until they release their liquid, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add the sugar and continue stirring until all the liquid evaporates and the tomatoes begin to stick - or even caramelize - a little on the bottom of the pan, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Add half of the celery, the water, and the tomato paste and mix well.
- 6Season lightly with salt and pepper, then bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.
- 7Using a hand held blender or a potato masher, partially puree the soup, leaving the tomato fairly chunky. Add the remaining celery and simmer for 5 minutes longer to blend the flavors.
- 8Just before serving, add the green onions, parsley, chervil, and basil and stir to blend.
- 9Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 10Ladle into bowls and serve.
- 11NOTE: Chervil is the leaves and root of this parsley family herb; they are edible and have a mild anise flavor. The leaves are a curly and dark green. Chervil is one of the main ingredients in Fines Herbes. Substitutions: parsley or tarragon.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Soup With Fines Herbes (Soupe a La Tomate Aux Fines Herbe
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.6
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 40.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: