Recipe by Lennie
This classic recipe produces a moist cake that's similar to a carrot cake, or a cake made with pumpkin. See if anyone can guess the secret ingredient!
Top Review by CCinSC
This was very good. I tried to keep the mystery ingredient a secret but somebody *cough-DH* let the cat out of the bag. No one could believe that it was tomato soup. My MIL has had a similar recipe for fifty years. If you want a "spice" type of cake, similar to carrot cake but much easier to make, give this one a try.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, like crisco
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 can Campbell's condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees; lightly butter a tube or bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening with an electric mixer until fluffy; then add the sugar and egg and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the soup.
- Next, add all the dry ingredients and stir until smooth and completely combined.
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes , until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
- Remove from pan and sprinkle with icing sugar if desired, or serve plain.