Recipe by ColoradoCookin'
A family recipe submitted from the Colorado bed and breakfast cookbook.
Top Review by Nicki2772
This is almost identical to the recipe that my grandmother and mother made, except they used butter instead of shortning, baked it in a 9x13 pan and frosted with cream cheese frosting. This is the best version around!!!! Thanks for the memory...I will make this tomorrow for my family.
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large eggs or 2 small eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, eggs and sugar.
- Stir baking soda into the can of soup and watch the reaction!
- Add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Then add raisins and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x5inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40-45 minutes.
- Cool about an hour and then remove from pan by turning the loaf upside down on the palm of your hand.
- Wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap.
- It can be sliced and served plain or topped with a thin glaze of powdered sugar and lemon juice together to desired consistency.