Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you have a garden, you will LOVE this salad...so fresh!! Nothing beats the tase of home grown tomatoes, basil and garlic. We have made this recipe both with and without the garlic, both good!
- 4 cups fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup packed fresh basil, snipped into small pieces with kitchen shears
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- Place chopped tomatoes in an attractive, medium sized bowl.
- Place all other ingredients in a shaker jar and shake to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette over tomatoes and stir to coat.
- Stir occasionally until ready to serve.
- Marinate at room temperature for at least one hour.
- Serve at room temperature.
I mixed a little balsamic vinegar with the red wine vinegar. A great way to use all the fresh tomatos from our garden. I have made it 3 times already!
Since this is served at room temperature, it was a perfect salad to serve on the night of the 2003 Blackout! I used store bought "from the vine" tomatoes, olive oil, doubled the garlic & eliminated the sugar. Our own tomatoes should be ready soon & I will make this again. Thanx M&Mers!
I love fresh tomatooes in the summer mixed any way I can. YUM this was sooo good. I didn't have any canola oil so I had to use olive oil instead but it was still delicious. We made this twice and the second time we even added fresh cucumbers, my DD raved over this. Thanks, this is a keeper.