Recipe by heather in Ont,
The best time to make this is when the tomatoes are in season. If you love tomatoes, you will love this salad, as did my guests. This is not a complicated salad and you would think it came from a gourmet restaurant. I found this gem of a recipe in the Fine Cooking Magazine.
Top Review by Merlot
This is a great tasting salad and so beautiful to serve to guests. We loved addition of mint to the feta cheese. It reminded me a lot of a salad I get at a local Lebanese restaurant in the area. This is such a great find! Thank you so much, Heather.
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- kosher salt or coarse salt
- 1⁄2 lb cucumber, peeled,seeded,and cut into small dice
- 1⁄2 lb cherries or 1⁄2 lb grape tomatoes, in assorted colors halved
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved (approx. 15)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble feta into a small bowl.
- Add chopped mint and toss; set aside.
- Season the tomato slice with salt and then arrange them, overlapping slightly, on a serving platter Sprinkle the cucumber over the tomato slices.
- Season the grape or cherry tomatoes with salt and scatter them over the cucumbers.
- Sprinkle the olives on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.
- Scatter feta cheese over the salad, garnish with mint and serve immediately.