Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Make this in the summer when the tomatoes are at their peak! Originally from a May 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in the "Cooking for Friends" section.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped (white part only)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 5 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bouquet garni (2 parsley sprigs,1 thyme sprig,1 oregano sprig,1 basil sprig and 1 bay leaf)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped watercress
- snipped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add celery, leek and garlic and saute until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add chopped mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, cream,vermouth, tomato paste, sugar and bouquet garni.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard bouqurt garni; puree soup in blender.
- Return to saucepan, keep warm.
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir into soup and mix in watercress;adjust seasoning.
- Ladle minto bowls and garnish with snipped chives; serve immediately.