Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Full of health-promoting antioxidants, this baked pasta dish delivers all the flavors of lasagna in less than half the preparation and baking time. Serve it with crusty sourdough rolls and a tossed green salad. From the McCormick website.
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F Cook turkey and onion in large nonstick skillet on medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, oregano, sugar, cinnamon, garlic powder and red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package; drain well. Stir pasta and well-drained spinach into sauce until well mixed. Spread 1/2 of the pasta mixture in 11x7-inch baking dish. Spread ricotta cheese evenly over pasta. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I loved, loved the flavor of this - something a little different with ingredients I had on hand! It's also a pretty healthy recipe with part skim cheeses and ground turkey. It did not go over will with my boyfriend - I think he didn't like to sweetness of it, but that just meant there was leftovers for me!