Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love lima beans and this is a good healthy soup recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup lima beans, fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the cabbage and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Add in the tomatoes, broth, cumin, and allspice; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in the lima beans and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
This soup was O.K. If the spices had been different it may have been very good but the all spice and cumin were just too unusual for our taste. Maybe we will try it with some sort of Italian spices. My husband didn't like the smell.
Simple and wholesome. This was a great soup to fix on the coldest day (thus far) this winter! I'll probably up the amount of cumin next time (I really love cumin); it's really good as is, too! Thanks.
I found this to be a very tasty, healthy, low-fat soup that my husband and I enjoyed. We both ate two big bowls full and were filled and satisfied. Thanks for sharing this recipe.