Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an American-Chinese food. It's sweet and tangy -- if you like sweet and sour flavours, this is great. It's easy to make for quick dinners, and has vegetable, meat, and rice all in one.
- 340.19 g flank steak
- 4.92 ml rice wine
- 0.25 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 1 piece gingerroot, minced
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml oil
- 59.14 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml ketchup
- 118.29 ml oil
- 12 green onions, sliced (or 2 small round onions)
- 1 large green pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded, cut into wedges
- Cut flank steak into thin strips about 2 inches long.
- In a large bowl, combine wine, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, cornstarch, and oil. Add meat strips and toss to coat. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and ketchup; set aside.
- Place wok over high heat and add 1/4 cup of oil (or less). Stir fry beef for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl. Add remaining 1/4 cup of oil and heat.
- Add green onions and green pepper and stir fry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and stir-fry for another minute. Add broth mixture and cook for 1 minute, or until it thickens slightly. Add beef and mix well.
- Serve over jasmine rice.
- Note: use oil portion at your discretion. Chinese cooking can be greasy but if you are watching your diet, use just enough oil to coat the meat, and prevent it from burning.
I have been looking for a recipe like a Cantonese dish I used to order at an oriental restaurant that has now closed, Beef and tomato Cantonese style. This recipe was very close to that dish, the only change I made was to serve it with Chinese egg noodles and cut the oil to 1 tbl. It was very good and hit the spot. Thanks for the great recipe.
This is very close to how the restaurants taste. Very good! Fast and easy! My kids love it. I use very less oil and added olive oil.
i needed something quick for dinner and this recipe came in handy! Turned out tasty and a hit with my family. thanks for sharing...