Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Onions, celery, carrots and garlic are cooked with tomatoes in this chicken broth based soup with barley.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked barley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and oil and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the water, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, barley and ground black pepper.
- Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until barley is tender.
Easy to make, I did add a good quality chicken base to this to enhance the flavor