Tomato Barley Soup
photo by TheRedneckHippie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 (28 ounce) bottles tomato puree
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter (sub a plant-based oil for vegan soup)
- 1 cup barley (uncooked)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Melt butter in large soup pot (For the vegan version, simply substitute a plant-based oil for the butter. Walnut would be good, but use whatever you have on hand.). Chop onion and saute in butter (oil) until translucent.
- Add spices and stir 'til fragrant.
- Pour in tomato puree, water and barley, and simmer over medium heat until barley is tender (about an hour).
- Turn off heat, add coconut milk, serve. Garnish with basil leaves and/or cheese if desired.
- This soup is GREAT with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!