Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cooking Light. March 2004
Make and share this Tomato and Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add water, dried lentils, 1 tablespoon dill, bay leaves, chile, and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon dill, vinegar, salt, and black pepper; discard bay leaves and chile. Sprinkle with cheese.