Recipe by Kath in CA
This is so good with fresh tomatoes (not recommended with canned) and smoked salmon or other cured salmon (don't use raw). If you don't like salmon, you can omit it. The mix of tomatoes and green onions does it for me, even without the salmon. I like lots of salt and pepper. A local Hawaiian place serves this, although their kahlua pig (pulled pork) is their most popular dish.
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced,about 1 cup (peeled and seeded, optional)
- 2 -3 green onions, finely chopped,about 1/8 cup
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 -2 ounce smoked salmon or 1 -2 ounce cured salmon, about 3 to 4 tablespoons,diced or flaked (not raw, recommended) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, to taste (approximately)
- 2 -3 leaves of your favorites greens (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt, to taste (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix tomatoes and onions and place in a glass container on ice until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, drain the veggies and save liquid for soup.
- Discard the ice (use to water plants).
- Mix in salmon, and serve on lettuce or other green leaves.
- Top with salt and pepper.
- (You can add salt earlier if you want the tomatoes to lose more of their liquid.).