- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 slices rye bread
- 6 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bread and toss to coat. Saute until the bread is crisp and golden.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, herbs and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and spoon dollop of sour cream atop each serving.