Recipe by lauralie41
Tomato soup recipe that is rich in veggies and quick to make. Adapted from a weight loss tracking website's newsletter.
Top Review by Darkhunter
This dish reminds me of one my mother made years ago. But she only used a can of diced tomatoes......I loved the flavor the fresh ingredients gave it. However, I think I will forego the addition of the bread next time. Thnx for sharing, Lor! Made for KcK's Forum.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 10 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, very ripe cored and roughly chopped (about 6 small tomatoes)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 slices bread, baguette day-old thickly sliced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook and stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the basil and tomatoes to mixture and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bread, salt and pepper and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon to break up the slices of bread.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls, garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese before serving.