Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
Strange cravings lead to delicious dinners, lol. In an endless effort to make tofu YUMMY, I devised this recipe. DH is still skeptical but eats it. I personally think it's brilliant. ;)
- Slice the tofu into thirds lengthwise (?) to make 'steaks'. layer with paper towels in a colander and a heavy weight on top. Let sit for 30 minutes to drain.
- Grind 1/4c peppercorns & coat both sides of the tofu steaks with approximately 1tsp pepper per side. Reserve any additional pepper for another use.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet on medium high heat. (I used my cast iron) Fry tofu until browned & crispy on both sides. This will take about 10 minutes or so. When done, set aside.
- Add butter to pan. When melted, add shallots & cook just a few minutes until softened. Add cognac or brandy & cook on high a few minutes until reduced to a few tablespoons.
- Add the stock & reduce by half. Add the cream & heat just to boiling.
- Crush 1/2TB mixed peppercorns in a mortar & pestle. Add to sauce. Taste for seasoning & add salt as desired.
Very yummy and brilliant! I used a small fraction of the oil, about 1 tablespoon, and about 1 tablespoon butter. Instead of cream I used low-fat milk. Also halved the recipe like Rita, and we ate 2/3 between us (I scarfed down leftovers for a snack the next day). I used shallots and also decided it didn't need extra salt (of course I used veggie broth). BF called it different, I just called it yummy. I'd make this again:D Thanks Bethie!
YES BRILLIANT! I skipped the butter and had to remove some oil before sauteing the onions which I used in place of the shallots. Making 1/2 the recipe. I added the fried tofu steak back to the sauce to warm. This make plenty of sauce so I highly recommend to serve over rice. And no need for salt! Thanks for a great lunch. John and I ate a 14 ounce size tofu. He had 2 steaks and I one and it was the perfect amount. ;)