1/3 Photos of Tofu Au Poivre
1 hr 20 mins
Strange cravings lead to delicious dinners, lol. In an endless effort to make tofu YUMMY, I devised this recipe. DH is still skeptical but eats it. I personally think it's brilliant. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the tofu into thirds lengthwise (?) to make 'steaks'. layer with paper towels in a colander and a heavy weight on top. Let sit for 30 minutes to drain.
- 2Grind 1/4c peppercorns & coat both sides of the tofu steaks with approximately 1tsp pepper per side. Reserve any additional pepper for another use.
- 3Heat oil in heavy skillet on medium high heat. (I used my cast iron) Fry tofu until browned & crispy on both sides. This will take about 10 minutes or so. When done, set aside.
- 4Add butter to pan. When melted, add shallots & cook just a few minutes until softened. Add cognac or brandy & cook on high a few minutes until reduced to a few tablespoons.
- 5Add the stock & reduce by half. Add the cream & heat just to boiling.
- 6Crush 1/2TB mixed peppercorns in a mortar & pestle. Add to sauce. Taste for seasoning & add salt as desired.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Au Poivre
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 757.9
- Calories from Fat 569
- Total Fat 63.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 137.0 mg
- Sodium 106.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 44.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: