Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found at http://www.womens-menopause-health.com/perimenopause_symptoms.htm It can't hurt give it a try!
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cup peas
- Heat 2 teaspoon vegetable oil in pan.
- Add onion and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, turmeric and curry powder, cook for 2 minutes, then add coconut milk, spices, cilantro, and salt.
- Lower heat and simmer.
- Cut drained, pressed tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add gently to sauce and continue simmering until tofu is heated through.
- Add peas and cook until peas are heated through.
- Served over rice with yogurt and chutney.
I doubled this & the 3 of us devoured it! I baked the tofu squares a bit so they wouldn't turn to mush in the sauce but i overdid it a bit. i really don't like soft tofu but i got it a bit too crunchy. i served this over white rice. i did add an extra can of coconut milk to have lots of sauce & am glad i did. this is delicious & spiced just right! Thank you, Rita! Made for veggie tag 6/11.
Doubled the onions, omitted the cilantro, used organic soy milk with a tablespoon of unsweetened coconut shreds and decided to mash 1/4 lb of the tofu into the sauce. This tastes even better on Day 3 as the flavours have time to mellow out and really get into the tofu. The only change I'd *highly* suggest is putting the cardamom and cloves into a small tied-off cheesecloth. Otherwise, you'll be playing a scavenger hunt game every time you eat.
I took Elmotoo's suggestion and crisped the tofu first. The tofu was cubed, tossed
with Spectrum's Asian cooking oil, 1 teaspoon of pureed lemongrass and broiled for about 15 minutes or until crispy. Used an entire can of coconut milk (14 ounces). For color, a little bit of finely minced carrot was garnished on top of our rice bowls along with fresh cilantro. Both salt and cilantro are missing from the ingredient's list. Served the mixture over jasmine rice. It does help to have those ingredients listed in order, too. We liked the flavor and this was easy to make! Reviewed for Veg Tag/November.