1/2 Photos of Toffee Cake With Caramel Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
If you need a "date" for Valentine's Day or to feel "rich"...then this is the recipe for you! Whooeee! Pureed dates lend such a richness and depth to this dessert, while the rum gives it a "grown-up" kick!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for the pan
- 8 ounces pitted chopped dates
- 1/2 cup light rum (see substitution below)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1Butter an 8- or 9-inch square pan; set aside.
- 2Put dates, rum and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer until dates are soft (about 5 minutes).
- 3Puree dates in a blender or food processor; let cool 15 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5While your "date" is cooling his heels (hahah), in a medium bowl, stir together flour, powder, salt, cinnamon and soda; set aside.
- 6In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, then add eggs (one at a time).
- 7Reduce mixer speed to low, alternate adding flour mixture and pureed dates.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth top, then pop into the oven; bake for 25 minutes (set the timer).
- 9At end of 25 minutes, turn heat down to 325°F and bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Cake tester should come out clean.
- 10Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes (set the timer).
- 11Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen; place a large serving plate over the top of the pan, invert the pan/plate.
- 12Make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine cream, brown sugar and butter.
- 13Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the remaining rum, cook 1 more minute.
- 14Pour warm sauce over cake.
- 15SUBSTITUTIONS: To make this more kid-friendly, substitute water or apple juice.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toffee Cake With Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.5
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 117.1 mg
- Sodium 378.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 63.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g