Recipe by Julie B's Hive
The addition of rolled oats makes this bar truly unique. From a 1950's cookbook and a family favorite since way back when!
Top Review by frostt6685
My mother made these and everyone in the family still loves them. I am 70 now and making them today for my husband. Never have changed anything. Its quick, simple and delicious. I am so pleased to see this recipe here because I've only seen it in my mother's personal cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Into a large bowl place the sugars, shortening, vanilla, salt, eggs, and beat with a spoon. When thoroughly mixed add flour and then oats.
- Pour batter into a greased 11X7 baking pan. Bake 45 minutes or until done.
- Melt semisweet pieces and spread on top of cooled cake. Sprinkle with nuts and cut into bars.