Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is basically a baked sandwich. It's easy to prepare ahead of time and pop in the oven an hour before dinner.
- 8 slices wheat or 8 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 lb ground venison, buffalo,elk or 1⁄2 lb beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Cook meat, onion, celery, prepared mustard and 1 t.
- salt until meat is browned and onion tender.
- Alternate layers of toast, meat and cheese in a sprayed 9x9" baking pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients.
- Pour over layers in pan.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.
The ultimate comfort food! The good news is that my package of ground beef was over a pound so I doubled the beef mixture and the cheese - more to eat! I also ignored your healthy low fat ingredients and used full fat cheese, milk and whole eggs. The only thing I really changed was to omit the sugar. I think next time, if I use the extra meat and cheese, I will double the egg milk mixture. The results - a big baked sandwich with a crunchy toast top, a cheesey, savory beef filling and an eggy toast bottom. While it was relatively cool in Phoenix today (below 100°F), I couldn't help thinking, what a perfect dish this would have been back in Mass. on a cold winter night. I can picture sittting in front of the fireplace having my "soul" warmed by your "Toasty Cheese Bake". Thank you Amy, for this wonderfull recipe!
Hate to say but this was a bit of a flop for me. There was no creamy eggy toping I expected and i could hardly detect the cheese. It was like ground beef in between two slices of bread. Sorry but not a keeper. Was looking for something much creamier and moist.