Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe from Lidia's Italy sounds so easy and so satisfying. A garlicky broth-based soup with croutons. Yum.
- 4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a heavy saucepan, brown the garlic and flour in heated oil, stirring constantly over low heat, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and mix well, scraping all the flour from the sides of the pan. Simmer 20 minutes, skimming occasionally. Pass the mixture through a sieve, discarding the garlic and any lumps of flour.
- In a clean pan, bring the mixture to a boil and slowly add the beaten eggs, continuously beating with a fork during the process. Return to the boil, remove immediately from the heat, and serve with croutons and freshly ground pepper.
Forgot to add stars in my previous review - five for sure!!
Rich, creamy and very delicious, I really enjoyed this soup! I made 1/4 of the recipe, using organic chicken stock and whole grain croutons. Yum! Made for Went To The Market tag game. Thanks under12parsecs! :)