Toasted Barley Soup With Swedish Meatballs
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 lb meatballs (Swedish meatballs, frozen, cooked)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium low, heat the oil. Add the barley and stir until it is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, carrots, zucchini, meatballs, dill and water. Bring the soup to a simmer, cover the pot and cook over medium-low until the barley is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve each bowl of soup topped with a tablespoon of sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!