Recipe by Annisette
This is a bread salad that gets better as it sits. Cooking time includes allowing the finished salad to sit for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. From VT July/August 2006.
- 1 small French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spread bread cubes on baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In small saucepan, heat oil over med-low heat.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a large serving bowl. Add the cooked olive oil and garlic. Toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow to stand at least 20 minutes, to allow the flavors to develop.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary, and serve.