Recipe by Munro House B&B
After living in an area that limits some ingredients, we came up with this to satisfy a variety of tastes! Leave out the coffee mixture and serve it with pound cake and fresh strawberries. Just call it Italian Cream and you have a hit!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup golden rum
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee or 2 cups brewed espresso, cooled to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 12 lbs cake, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of heavy cream in large bowl and mix completely. This will thin out the mixture. Set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, and rum in a double boiler pan and beat with an electric mixer until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Set in double boiler over simmering water and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, continue to beat until cool to the touch, and then set aside.
- Whip the 2 cups whipping cream until stiff peaks form and reserve.
- Fold in egg mixture to Cream Cheese Mixture. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Combine the coffee and Kahlua in a shallow bowl. Dip 1 piece of cake at a time in the coffee mixture and then transfer to a large glass bowl, lining the entire bottom and arranging the pieces slightly up the sides. Spread half of the cream mixture evenly over the cake. Sift 1 tablespoon cocoa powder over the mascarpone. Make another layer in the same manner with the remaining cake, cream cheese mixture, and cocoa. Chill the tiramisu, covered, for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight.