Recipe by foodtvfan
A copycat recipe for Tim Hortons chili which is now a family favorite. According to Tim Hortons description of their chili it has 'ground beef blended with kidney beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, onion and celery' so I think this recipe is very close to the real thing. If cooking the chili in a crock pot, drain the tomatoes; cover and cook on low for about 5 hours. Chili can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Freezes well too so would be good OAMC recipe. Prep time, cooking time, and servings are estimates.
Top Review by Nif
I made a batch of this chili to freeze dinners for my father-in-law. It's delicious! I only had a can of black beans instead of mixed. I also used red, yellow and orange peppers because I don't like green ones! That's all I changed and it turned out great! Made for PRMR tag game. Thanks foodtvfan! Tim's would be proud! :)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushroom pieces, drained, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 garlic cloves, minced or 3 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef in the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until no longer pink; place in a large pot. Do not drain.
- Sauté onion, celery and green pepper in the drippings, in the same frying pan used for the ground beef, for about 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add a little of the chili powder.
- Add sautéed veggies to the ground beef.
- Add rinsed and drained kidney beans, mushrooms pieces, undiluted tomato soup and tomatoes with the liquid.
- Add the rest of the chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic.
- Stir ingredients together well.
- Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and simmer for 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally.