Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
White-fleshed fish and tomatoes just seem to have a natural affinity. This easy recipe is quick enough to serve on a week night and elegant enough to serve for a dinner party.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tilapia fillets
- In a shallow Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat.
- Fry the onion, garlic, red pepper, oregano, cumin, 1/4 teaspoons each of the salt and pepper, and the hot pepper sauce, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until thickened and reduced to about 2 cups.
- Stir in the coriander, orange juice and lime juice.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the fish with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Fry, turning once, in batches and adding more oil if necessary, for 4 minutes or until browned.
- Nestle into the hot sauce and simmer for 4 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested.
I made some changes since i didnt have all the ingredients such as using basil instead of coriander and a tsp sugar with 2 tblsp lemon juice since i didnt have any oj. the recipe came out really good though.
Great recipe- easy to make, very tasty and it definitely is going into my "regulars" pile