White-fleshed fish and tomatoes just seem to have a natural affinity. This easy recipe is quick enough to serve on a week night and elegant enough to serve for a dinner party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1In a shallow Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat.
- 2Fry the onion, garlic, red pepper, oregano, cumin, 1/4 teaspoons each of the salt and pepper, and the hot pepper sauce, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until thickened and reduced to about 2 cups.
- 5Stir in the coriander, orange juice and lime juice.
- 6Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat.
- 7Sprinkle the fish with the remaining salt and pepper.
- 8Fry, turning once, in batches and adding more oil if necessary, for 4 minutes or until browned.
- 9Nestle into the hot sauce and simmer for 4 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested.
Browse Our Top Tilapia Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tilapia Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tilapia and Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.6
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 62.5 mg
- Sodium 384.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 27.7 g