Recipe by barbaja w.
Resembles Belgian waffles but easier, and moister than a pancake. I did not want to buy and store a separate waffle maker, so I use a George Foreman meat grill. It is also easier than making with a waffle maker. Tastes like Belgian waffles but easier to make. Good with syrup or whipped cream and fruit sauce or with a meal like gravy or cream sauce. Is handy when no access to stove.
Top Review by laby
It didn't taste anything like a belgian waffle to me. It wasn't crispy like a waffle (1/2 c. water made a very thick batter so I added a little more, maybe it was supposed to be that thick?). It was fine but I think I'll stick to regular pancakes in a frying pan.
- 1 cup mrs butterworth's buttermilk pancake mix (other brand names are not as good)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water (yes it is supposed to be thick, i am from wisconson so "belgium" waffles are somewhat soft and not a)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil (the best is olive oil, it cooks best and is the most healthy)
- 1 teaspoon good for baking stick margarine (you only use a little so it's still healthy,do not use whipped or soft or diet and also do not use b)
Directions See How It's Made
- Change the angle on the George Foreman meat cooking grill so it is level not tilted any more (I used the small George Foreman grill-- the one that cooks approximately 4 hamburgers).
- Use the spare legs or the drain tray upside down or similar method.
- Preheat the grill 5 minutes--use a timer.
- Combine all ingredients except the margarine or pam like spray.
- Grease both sides of the grill lightly with margarine (do not use butter in the grill--it will burn black and smoke).
- Pour the entire batter gently into the grill; smooth carefully.
- Close the grill.
- Wait a minute more or less until steaming slows down or stops.
- Open the grill and test with a toothpick to see if done. If not done, close grill 10 to 30 seconds more.
- Open the grill and remove the tiger waffle.
- It will have golden brown and dark brown tiger stripes and be like a Belgian waffle but also a new taste and texture very moist.
- Good with syrup or hot fruit sauces or as part of a meal instead of potatoes or rice, pasta you know with a gravy or cream sauce.