Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Alrighty, I checked with many of the other 146 Taco Soup recipes and this appears to be somewhat original with the addition of chicken, refried beans and no ranch dressing mix. This recipe was inspired by my GF Nekkie & Weight Watchers. Chicken makes it more calorie friendly. The can of refried beans make it very creamy. Feel free to use precooked or leftover chicken strips to save on time. This is thicker than a soup, almost like a chili. Add more broth to thin. I think Rachel Rae would call it Stoup! It's hearty and OH SO good! Enjoy!
Top Review by *Parsley*
What's not to love? It's super healthy, tasty and filling. I made this according to the recipe. I love thick, hearty soups, so I loved the texture. I think this could easily be adapted to a slow cooker; I'll probably try that sometime. Thanx for sharing!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 (7/8 ounce) packet taco seasoning (i.e Chi Chi Fiesta Restaurante seasoning mix packet)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, can omit if seasoning packet contains garlic
- 15 ounces white hominy or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 15 ounces chicken broth, more as needed to thin the soup
- 15 ounces black beans, drain, rinse or 15 ounces red kidney beans
- 15 ounces white great northern beans, drain, rinse
- 16 ounces refried beans, canned, use plain, spicy your choice
- 10 ounces Mexican-style tomatoes, diced with juice
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juice, can omit if you don't like too many tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray medium size deep soup pot with non-stick spray.
- Sauté onions until clear and softened.
- Add chicken breast and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add cumin, garlic powder and taco seasoning packet.
- Start opening cans and start dumping: begin with the broth, beans, refried beans, and add all other ingredients. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for at least 40 minutes. Longer is fine. Add extra chicken broth if soup becomes too thick.
- Serve with warm soft torn fat free tortillas or crispy tortilla chips.
- Top with cilantro, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream or any other taco toppings you like.
- Notes: Use lean ground beef in a pinch.